Competitive Tendering in Construction
Competitive tendering in construction and how to succeed
Competitive tendering in construction is the most common method of procurement in the industry. In the past, the construction industry has gained a bad reputation for its low-price tendering methods. However, now competitive tendering processes are used in construction such as frameworks agreements.
Why is competitive tendering used in construction?
Competitive tendering in construction is used by a prospective supplier in response to an invitation to tender (ITT). Competitive tendering is used particularly by the public sector. The main objective of competitive tendering in construction is to obtain goods or services at the lowest cost. Now the public sector seeks to obtain goods or services that are the best value through open and fair competition.
Methods of assessing tenders other than the lowest cost include:
- Best value
- Most Economically Advantageous Tender (MEAT)
- Mean value
- Weighted selection criteria.
A competitive tendering is often done via open tendering in construction. This is one of the tender procedures where a buyer releases an ITT. A competing supplier can then respond to the open advertisement with their tender response.
Framework agreements are used as a form of competitive tendering in construction that can benefit suppliers. Winning a place on a framework can secure your business a pipeline of work. Suppliers can have access to ongoing work whenever the buyer needs it. The benefit of being on a framework means suppliers don’t have to go through the whole process each time.
Framework agreements usually ask for multiple suppliers to deliver goods and services under one contact. It is a form of competitive tendering in construction used by the public sector. They can run for years at a time with the possibility of extension. Typically, a framework agreement is split into lots. Each lot represents a specific good, service, work or geographical location. Lots allow suppliers to apply for the specific good, service or region they specialise in.
Do you need help when it comes to competitive tendering in construction?
Writing a tender response for construction contracts can be overwhelming if you’re just starting out. If you’re not sure about where to begin we can help. Our sister company, Hudson Succeed, offers four levels of bid writing support services. They boast an 87% success rate and have over 60 years of bid writing experience. Whether you’re completely new to tendering, or need your response proofread before you submit, we can assist your needs.
Once you’ve found the perfect construction tender for your business, why not send it over to us? Our Bid Writers can take care of it all for you. They’ll let you know what they need from you, providing you with a full Tender Writing breakdown. They’ll even submit it on your behalf.
Our Tender Ready programme is perfect for those who have never tendered before. A Bid Writer will work with you to make sure you have everything you need in place to tender successfully. The 4-week programme offers your business:
- A 12-month subscription to Construction Tenders
- Access to Global Bid Directors and Senior Bidding professionals
- An organisation-wide Bid Library, including 3 case studies, 5 CV’s and 8 policies
- Additional flexible benefit options.
If you’ve been tendering but aren’t seeing the results you want, our Tender Improvement package can help. The Bid Team will assess your previous responses and tender documents, working with you to improve for future submissions. This package includes a 12-month subscription to Construction Tenders and additional tendering development services.
If you’ve written your own tender response and need someone to double-check it for errors, Tender Mentor can help. Our Bid Team will proofread your work for any inconsistencies, grammar or spelling mistakes. They’ll also ensure that it’s in line with the specification before you submit.
Where can I find construction tenders for my business?
Finding the right tender for your business can take a large amount of time out of your day. There are thousands of websites posting multi-sector opportunities and searching for leads can turn into a full-time job. Each one may have its own portal, login or password. Luckily for you, we have a solution.
Construction Tenders is one centralised and easy-to-navigate portal hosting exclusive, public and private construction leads and tendering opportunities. Gone are the days of relying on inaccurate CPV Codes! Our Opportunity Trackers manually search and upload tenders from thousands of websites across the UK. You’re able to filter and search the results by budget, keyword, location and more, streamlining the process.
Below are previous construction tenders sourced on our portal:
Isolation House at Westonbirt Arboretum
Forestry England- South West- Budget: £55,000
Building and Maintenance Services Contract
St Albans City & District Council- Eastern- Budget: Undisclosed
Estates Related Construction Framework at De Montfort University, Leicester, LE1 9BH
De Montfort University- East Midlands- Budget: Undisclosed
Outdoor Storage Room – CPTC
Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult- North East- Budget: Undisclosed
BBV HS2 MWCC North – Sewer Diversion Tunnelling Design & Construction
Balfour Beatty VINCI JV HS2- West Midlands- Budget: Undisclosed
A subscription to Construction Tenders offers your business:
- Access to all unique, private and public sector opportunities within the construction industry.
- An on-hand Account Manager to answer any questions you may have about competitive tendering in construction.
- A daily email bulletin sent straight to your inbox when new construction tenders are uploaded that day.
- Discounted support from Hudson Succeed, our bid writing division.
- 20-minutes for free consultancy with one of our Bid Writers each month.
We also source opportunities for services including;
- Civil Engineering Tenders
- Health & Safety Tenders
- Cable Laying Tenders
- Structural Engineering Tenders
- Electrical Tenders
- Building Works
- Joinery Tenders
- Architectural Tenders
- Refurbishment Tenders
- Brickwork Tenders
- Small Construction Tenders
- Surveying Tenders
- Demolition Tenders
- Flooring Tenders
- Glass Tenders
- Cost Consultancy
- Painting Contracts
- Decorating Tenders
- Masonry and many more.
Get in touch to find out how we can help your business grow.
Upgrade to Discover Elite
Upgrading to Discover Elite can save you even more time, helping you identify tendering opportunities even when you’re busy. Our two time-saving tools can improve your competitor awareness and bidding success rate. Each package can help save you even more time when competitive tendering in construction.
The Ultimate Time Saver package includes:
- An annual subscription to a maximum of two Hudson Discover sector-specific portals. This option best suits a business that overlaps two industries such as Construction and Logistics for example.
- A maximum of five tender breakdowns per month.
- Pre-market and award engagement notices monitored on your behalf.
- Buyer portal management including registration, password management, downloading documents and assessing viability based on your bid or no-bid.
- Weekly phone calls with your on-hand Account Manager to discuss viable construction tendering opportunities.
The Become a Pre-Bid Master package includes:
- All of the above.
- Up to seven tender breakdowns per month.
- A Bid Strategy delivered by a Senior Bid Manager with a minimum of 5 years of experience. It will also be managed by our Global Bid Director.
Contact us to find out how we can help your business.
You Might Also Like
- A Guide to New Construction Tenders
- Tender for Construction Projects
- A Guide to Construction Tenders Online
- Finding Success in Procurement and Tendering in Construction
- 4 Key New Bills Relevant to Government Construction Tenders
- 3 Myths You’ll Hear When You Tender for Building Work
- Topographical Survey Tenders Explained
- Open Tendering in Construction
- Answers to your FAQs About Building Surveying Tenders
- Cost Consultancy Tenders Explained