Answers to your FAQs About Building Surveying Tenders
Building surveying tenders and where to find them
Building surveying tenders are great opportunities to grow your business. However, they can seem confusing and complicated, particularly if you’ve never tendered before. Both the private and public sector release tenders for building surveying works and services.
Even if you have tendered for work before, you may have some questions and that’s perfectly normal. This blog will answer some of your frequently asked questions on building surveying tenders.
What services are expected from a building surveyor in building surveying tenders?
Building surveying tenders may be looking to procure the following services:
- To support the design and build of building works.
- Defect analysis, condition monitoring and design of solutions to building failures.
- Conduct measured surveys of buildings preparation of drawings and legal mapping.
- Provision of advice in relation to protected structures.
- Provide a range of guidance in relation to the maintenance and repair of buildings.
- Work with the Quantity Surveyor to deliver cost planning, tenders and contract administration of works.
- Ensure the delivery of the design phase to RIBA 4.
- Engage the services of a Structural Engineer to check the robustness of a design.
- Attend project meetings.
- Support the appointed Architect in preparing all design and detailed construction drawings.
What are building surveying framework agreements?
Sometimes, you can find building surveying tenders as part of a framework agreement. You may come across building surveying services as part of a larger framework for consultancy services. A framework agreement is a multi-supplier agreement that’s frequently used within the public sector. Frameworks can run for years at a time. They are a good way to secure a pipeline of work for your business if successful. Some may even have the possibility of an extension.
They are split into lots with each lot representing a specific good, work, service or geographical location. Lots allow suppliers to apply to the specific lots they specialise in or specific region they operate in. Depending on the building surveying tender agreement, a supplier may be eligible to apply for more than one lot. If this is the case, you’ll need to be prepared to provide evidence. You’ll have to demonstrate that your business has the capacity and resources to undertake the works across the selected lots.
Do I need to provide experience of previous contracts?
Typically, you will be required to detail evidence of your completion and experience of previous contracts. Buyers want to know that you’re qualified, practised and experienced in delivering contracts similar in scale and scope.
Contractors will ask for you to provide previous case studies of contracts you have completed within the last five years. They should be tailored to exhibit your business capabilities and skillset. Depending on the word count, you could also detail any challenges you overcame, demonstrating your problem-solving skills and flexibility. Remember, keep them relevant to the contract at hand, including examples that are similar in complexity and location if possible.
A useful way to structure your building surveying tenders case studies is by using the STAR format:
- Situation – provide a brief context
- Task – the work you faced
- Action – what have you done?
- Results – what were the results?
Will there be an opportunity to participate in a site visit?
You may be able to go on an optional or mandatory site visit prior to your tender submission. If this is an option, it’s highly recommended that you participate. Site visits give you an opportunity to see the proposed working environment with your own eyes. They can help you pick up on things you otherwise wouldn’t know and improve your tender response. They may even allow you to give more accurate pricing, gaining an insight into the buyer.
Do contractors care about the quality of my written response?
In short, yes. Even if the quality section is weighted less than cost buyers want to see a high-quality written response. You want your tender response to be persuasive. You need to convince the buyer that you’re the best business for the job. A stellar written response will also help you stand out from your competitors. You should aim for your response to be clear and concise. You should try and get your written response to meet as close to the word or page counts as possible.
Can I get help writing my next building surveying tenders?
Not every business has the time, resources or experience to write a winning response in-house. If that’s the case, outsourcing your next bid to tender writing specialists can help you secure your next construction contract.
Our sister company Hudson Succeed, are bid writing experts. They have over 60 years of bid writing experience and an 87% success rate. They offer four bid writing support services that can help with your next tender response. Whether you’re completely new to tendering or need your bid response proofread before you submit – they can help.
Once you’ve found the perfect building surveying tender for your business, why not send it over to them? Our Bid Writers can take care of it all for you. They’ll let you know what they need from you, providing you with a full Tender Writing breakdown. They’ll even submit it on your behalf.
If you’ve written your own tender response and need someone to double-check it for errors, Tender Mentor can help. Our Bid Team will proofread your work for any inconsistencies, grammar or spelling mistakes. They’ll also ensure that it’s in line with the specification before you submit.
Our Tender Ready programme is perfect for those who have never tendered before. A Bid Writer will work with you to make sure you have everything you need in place to tender successfully. The 4-week programme offers your business:
- A 12-month subscription to Construction Tenders
- Access to Global Bid Directors and Senior Bidding professionals
- An organisation-wide Bid Library, including 3 case studies, 5 CV’s and 8 policies
- Additional flexible benefit options.
If you’ve been tendering but aren’t seeing the results you want, our Tender Improvement package can help. The Bid Team will assess your previous responses and tender documents, working with you to improve for future submissions. This package includes a 12-month subscription to Construction Tenders and additional tendering development services.
Where can I find building surveying tenders for my business?
Finding the right building surveying tenders for your business can take up a lot of your time. You already have enough on your plate running a business to worry about trawling through various websites. Each website or portal may require its own login and password and keeping track can turn into a full-time job. Wouldn’t it be nice if there was one, easy-to-navigate centralised portal that posts construction sector specific opportunities?
Construction Tenders hosts all the live construction leads and tenders from across the construction industry. Our Opportunity Trackers manually search and upload tenders from thousands of websites in the UK. There’s no reliance on inaccurate CPV codes that often results in missed opportunities. You’re able to search and filter the results by location, budget, keyword and more. This allows you to find the perfect building surveying tenders to suit your business needs.
Below are previous building surveying tenders sourced on our portal:
1733/MR Building Surveying (Project) Estates and Facilities Management Consultancy Framework
University of Sheffield- Yorkshire and Humber- Budget: Undisclosed
Building Surveying Consultancy Framework
St.Helens Council- North West- Budget: Undisclosed
Building Surveying Consultancy Services
University of Ulster- Northern Ireland- Budget: £600,000
Building Surveying Services
Bath and North East Somerset Council- South West- Budget: Undisclosed
Building Surveying Services for St Helens Council
St.Helens Council- North West- Budget: Undisclosed
What’s included in a subscription to Construction Tenders?
A 12-month subscription to our Construction Tenders portal offers your business:
- Access to all unique, public and private sector opportunities across the construction sector.
- An on-hand Account Manager to answer any questions you may have about building surveying tenders.
- A daily email bulletin sent straight to your inbox when new construction tenders are uploaded that day.
- Discounted support from Hudson Succeed, our bid writing division.
The best way to venture into the tendering world is through booking a live demo of Construction Tenders.
We also source opportunities for services including;
- Health & Safety Tenders
- Cable Laying Tenders
- Structural Engineering Tenders
- Electrical Tenders
- Building Works
- Joinery Tenders
- Architectural Tenders
- Refurbishment Tenders
- Brickwork Tenders
- Small Construction Tenders
- Civil Engineering Tenders
- Surveying Tenders
- Demolition Tenders
- Flooring Tenders
- Glass Tenders
- Painting Contracts
- Decorating Tenders
- Masonry and many more.
Get in touch to find out how we can help your business grow.
Upgrade to Discover Elite
Upgrading to Discover Elite can save you even more time, optimising your tendering opportunities even when you’re busy. Our two time-saving tools can improve your competitor awareness and bidding success rate. Each package can help save you even more time when searching for building surveying tenders.
The Ultimate Time Saver package includes:
- An annual subscription to a maximum of two Hudson Discover sector-specific portals. This option best suits a business that overlaps two industries such as Construction and Logistics for example.
- A maximum of five tender breakdowns per month.
- Pre-market and award engagement notices monitored on your behalf.
- Buyer portal management including registration, password management, downloading documents and assessing viability based on your bid or no-bid.
- Weekly phone calls with your on-hand Account Manager to discuss viable building surveying tendering opportunities.
The Become a Pre-Bid Master package includes:
- All of the above.
- Up to seven tender breakdowns per month.
- A Bid Strategy delivered by a Senior Bid Manager with a minimum of 5 years of experience. It will also be managed by our Global Bid Director.
Contact us to find out how we can help your business.
You Might Also Like
- A Guide to New Construction Tenders
- Tender for Construction Projects
- A Guide to Construction Tenders Online
- Finding Success in Procurement and Tendering in Construction
- 4 Key New Bills Relevant to Government Construction Tenders
- Competitive Tendering in Construction
- 3 Myths You’ll Hear When You Tender for Building Work
- Topographical Survey Tenders Explained
- Open Tendering in Construction
- Cost Consultancy Tenders Explained