How to Win Building Work Tenders
What do you need to know about building work tenders?
Are you wondering how to win building work tenders for your business? Tendering for contracts can open many doors for your business – but only if you win the work. So, how can you make sure that your business is successful?
This blog will tell you everything you need to know to secure building work tenders for your business.
How do you win building work tenders for your business?
Here are some things you can do to increase your chances of success when bidding on building work tenders:
Include case studies in your tender response
To win building work tenders, you need to show the buyer that your business is most suitable for the contract. To do that, you need to submit 2 – 3 case studies in your bid response, ideally from the last 3 – 5 years.
Case studies should demonstrate your suitability for the work. They should be similar in size and scope to the contract at hand. If they aren’t relevant to what the buyer is looking for, they won’t increase your chances of success.
Be the MEAT
For successful tendering, your business needs to be the most economically advantageous tender (MEAT). What does this mean? Well, buyers are looking for the best value for money. They want to choose a supplier that offers the best services for the lowest price.
However, this doesn’t mean that you should price your services low just to win the tender. Pricing your services too low could prevent you from meeting the buyer’s quality standards. Or if you win the contract, you might have to ask for additional funding down the line. Neither of these options will impress the buyer!
Instead, show the buyer that your business can offer an outstanding service for a competitive price. Added value will increase your chances of winning building work tenders for your business.
With building work tenders, buyers often want to see evidence of your relevant qualifications and accreditations in your response.
As you already know, accidents can and do happen on building and construction sites. Therefore, it’s crucial that your business is complying with the relevant health and safety standards. The qualifications and accreditations could include:
- ISO 9001; 14001; 18001
To increase your chances of success, you should be prepared to submit evidence of your qualifications in your tender response.
Prepare your social value responses
To win building work tenders, you need to prepare your social value responses. In tendering, social value has a minimum weighting of 10%, but could potentially hold a weight of up to 30%. The three main components of social value are:
It’s important you demonstrate your social value clearly and thoroughly to the buyer. For example, how will your business work to reduce waste for the duration of the project?
Social value is particularly important after the COVID-19 pandemic. Buyers want to see how your organisation will prevent any risks caused by the virus. So, it’s important to reference this in your bid response.
Study the buyer’s specifications
Our final tip for winning building work tenders is to study the buyer’s specifications. To secure the tender, it’s crucial that you answer the buyer’s questions in detail. Otherwise, you risk including irrelevant information in your response, which won’t do your business any favours.
It’s also important that you consider word counts or page limits set by the buyer. This indicates how much detail the buyer is expecting from you.
Where can you find building work tenders?
Finding building work tenders for your business can be a lengthy, time-consuming process. That’s why we’ve decided to simplify the process for you. With the Construction Tenders portal, sourcing tendering opportunities has never been so easy!
The portal is an opportunity tracking platform where we source all the construction and building tenders throughout the UK. We manually upload them in one convenient place, leaving you to focus on your business.
Other benefits include of subscribing to Construction Tenders include:
- Receiving daily updates of available tenders, direct to your inbox.
- Access to all private and public sector opportunities in the UK.
- The ability to filter building contracts opportunities by keyword, budget, location and more.
- No reliance on unreliable CPV codes or algorithms. We manually upload each tender making sure that you have access to 100% of building tenders.
- Access to your own Account Manager. They can answer any questions or queries you may have about the tendering process.
- Discounted support from Hudson Succeed, our bid writing division.
- 20-minutes of free consultancy every month with our bid experts.
Here are just a few examples of past building work tenders on our Construction Tenders portal:
Medical Records Building Works
NHS South West-Acutes – South West – Budget: £30k
WHC – Minor Building Works
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council – Eastern – Budget: £2.4million
Building Works – General Repairs
London Borough of Islington – London – Budget: £5million
Building Works for Temporary Accommodation for Colaiste Dun An Ri
Cavan and Monaghan Education & Training Board – Republic of Ireland – Budget: Undisclosed
FM Reactive & Planned Maintenance Building Works
North Wales Police – Wales – Budget: Undisclosed
Book a Demo with Construction Tenders
We actively source tenders for the following sub-sectors:
- Architectural Tenders
- Refurbishment Tenders
- Brickwork Tenders
- Building Works
- Health & Safety Tenders
- Small Construction Tenders
- Civil Engineering Tenders
- Electrical Tenders
- Surveying Tenders
- Demolition Tenders
- Flooring Tenders
- Glass Tenders
- Cost Consultancy
- Painting Contracts
- Decorating Tenders
- Masonry and many more.
So, now you know how to win building work tenders for your business. For tendering success, it’s vital that you include relevant case studies, be the MEAT and provide your appropriate qualifications and accreditations. And don’t forget how important it is to prepare your social value responses and study the buyer’s specifications!
If you’ve tried the tips above and still aren’t seeing success, we can help.
Need assistance when looking to tender for building work?
You don’t always have the time or resources to write a winning tender response for construction contracts in-house. Outsourcing to bid writing experts can help optimise your chances of success. They know what buyers are looking for in your tender response and how to best convey it.
Our sister company, Hudson Succeed, offers four levels of bid writing support services. They boast an 87% success rate and have over 60 years of bid writing experience. Whether you’re completely new to tendering, or need your response proofread before you submit, we can help. We offer:
Upgrade to Discover Elite
Upgrading to Discover Elite can save you even more time, helping you identify tendering opportunities even when you’re busy. Our two time-saving tools can improve your competitor awareness and bidding success rate. Each package can help save you even more time when you tender for building work.
The Ultimate Time Saver package includes:
- An annual subscription to a maximum of two Hudson Discover sector-specific portals. This option best suits a business that overlaps two industries such as Construction and Logistics for example.
- A maximum of five tender breakdowns per month.
- Pre-market and award engagement notices are monitored on your behalf.
- Buyer portal management including registration, password management, downloading documents and assessing viability based on your bid or no-bid.
- Weekly phone calls with your on-hand Account Manager to discuss viable construction tendering opportunities.
The Become a Pre-Bid Master package includes:
- All of the above.
- Up to seven tender breakdowns per month.
- A Bid Strategy delivered by a Senior Bid Manager with a minimum of 5 years of experience. It will also be managed by our Global Bid Director.
Contact us to find out how we can help your business.
You Might Also Like
- A Guide to New Construction Tenders
- Tender for Construction Projects
- A Guide to Construction Tenders Online
- Finding Success in Procurement and Tendering in Construction
- 4 Key New Bills Relevant to Government Construction Tenders
- Competitive Tendering in Construction
- 3 Myths You’ll Hear When You Tender for Building Work
- Topographical Survey Tenders Explained
- Open Tendering in Construction
- Answers to your FAQs About Building Surveying Tenders